2013-2015 Recap



Hello,

It feels odd writing again here...
I feel like an outsider of my own creation. I remember I started writing here back in August 2013. I was at grandma's house and was using my cousin's computer. I wasn't at school for about half a year that time and I just turned 17 but that was the beginning of this blog. I read a book of poems and rhymes. It was about a strong little girl and her chasing the dream. It inspired me to write about it and boom! It was my first blog post. I felt proud and accomplished.

I ask myself "Why did I start blogging?" and "Why did I stop?"


*photo above was taken on my Disney Days*

I basically started writing because I never thought I could do it. I just did it for fun then it became a hobby and then "whimsical tinker" was born. I started from a ground-up. I did everything on my own. I did coding, graphic design and content. I have experience in coding and graphic designing when I took up a college course, Information Technology. I was just 16. I had two majors, Programming, and Multimedia. I loved that course. It challenged me and helped me hone my skills and I had great teachers.

I stopped blogging when I started working. I didn't have time anymore and I wasn't as inspired and motivated to continue blogging. Although, I never stopped writing. I always write on my notes whether I'm riding on a bus or train heading home or whenever I can and whenever I feel inspired to write about something. I'm going to share all the events or a recap from the very beginning.

Here are the highlights from 2013-2015. 

On November 2013, I moved to Los Angeles. I remember writing my first out of the country flight and how annoying I thought I was. I was young (er) and excited. I'd say LA is a big different world. I was soul-searching and re-starting my life. I thought it was a second chance. A chance of who I want to become and be known.

On 2014, I enrolled in a private college in Koreatown LA. I didn't know what I was doing. I followed what my grand aunt and mother told me. I went there to get a degree. At first, I thought I did that for myself but then eventually I realized, I did it for mom. On graduation day, I felt like running away. I was on stage sitting in between other honor students. I felt like I want to scream out but not with joy, because I felt confuse, unhappy and unaccomplished. I asked myself, "That's it? This is what I get and feel? I feel empty and dead."

In between of the months of that year. I would call it a roller coaster.

On August/September 2014, I met three successful and influential women. I made a blog post about it.

I was lost and was going through a depression without being aware of it. I was in denial that I was homesick without knowing anything about homesickness or being a thousand miles away from home for the very first time. I missed my friends and family in the Philippines. I missed the old lifestyle I had. I lost some relationships and lost the love of my life, my best friend, or should I say, my soulmate. I was heart-broken. After going through my own hole of darkness, I remained positive and keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason. And then there are those happy moments where I made new friends and build new relationships. I went out, explored the city life and just made new experiences.

On October 2014, I earned my first graphic design internship, at a private college and got hooked up by a friend for a warehouse manager internship at LA Fashion District. 5 months later, I made a promise to myself that things will get better and different for the upcoming year. And it did.

On February 2015, I left the WM internship and on the next month (March), I got promoted to Digital Marketing Assistant which is my current job at a private college. I worked part time and still in school.

On March 2015, my birthday month. I enrolled to a 3-month product management (evening) course at General Assembly in Santa Monica. I wanted to learn about how to build and pitch a product and about business. I was so grateful I had supportive teacher and classmates. Come to think of it, I was the youngest one there. Most of them were in their 30s and 40s.

My weekly routine was I work (MWF) 3 days, (MW) 2 days of my evening class and my online classes in between those days. My Monday & Wednesday routine was I work 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and I have class on 7:00 PM. I commute by bus for an hour to get to Santa Monica. I get there by 6-6:30 PM. The class would end at 9:00 PM then head home and get to LA by 10:00 PM.

I hiked for the first time after 2 years of being inactive. I threw up because of the heat of that day and how the mountain was so inclined.

Oh, I turned 19.

On April 2015, I began traveling. I went on a road trip and camped out in the forest. Sequoia National Park is beautiful. There were so many things that you can do for one day. I hiked and hugged the huge trees. I felt so alive and re-born.

On May 2015, I traveled to Utah. Camped out at Zion National Park, hiked Angel's Landing and conquered my fear of heights and also went to Bryce Canyon National Park.
I pitched my product and I got good feedback. I was proud of myself that I was able to do that. One of my favorite accomplishments was the elevator pitch. It would only take you 10-15 seconds to pitch your product and I did it successfully to my teacher. And then finally, I finished the class. They gave us a book and I'm now part of the GA Alumni.

On June 2015, I graduated with an associate's degree. I went to warped tour for the first time ever! I finally saw my favorite bands and was able to take some photos with them. Best day ever!

On July 2015, I confessed to my crush. I made a whole blog/Tumblr dedicated to him and gave it to him. I didn't directly gave it 'cause I chickened out. So I put the link on a paper with the card that says "I like you the way you are" when you open it and wrote a Winnie the pooh quote. I put the card in the backseat's pocket in his car and texted him the next day about it. I got rejected.



On August 2015, Summer in LA. I bought a gym pass at Wilfit and worked out my butt off. My friends from the east, Chicago, and New York, came to visit. We were elementary classmates and after we graduated elementary. We parted ways and never talked until winter of 2015. They planned an LA trip and it happened! They stayed here for only a week but it felt like 2 or 3 weeks. I bought my first ever Disney Annual Pass and went to experience Disney for the first time! So much joy with them.  Best month of the year!


On September 2015, I got two new jobs. As a graphic design & social media assistant internship and a retail sale associate & cashier. Those days where I would ride a bus for an hour to get to Westwood for my internship and also an hour ride to get to Century City for my retail job. They were both part-time. Basically, I had three jobs and would work 6 days a week with only one day off. 4 months later... I left both jobs.

On October 2015, I enrolled in Sal Landi's scene study class in Hollywood. I did my first music photography experience for Xylo. I went to 3 concerts in one week. I actually wrote all about it but it's currently on drafts 'cause I don't have all the photos on my drive yet. I went to see Marina and the Diamonds, Marian Hill and the Back to the Future Hearts Tour featuring Sleeping with Sirens, All Time Low, Neck Deep and One OK Rock.

I invested in Squarespace to build my portfolio site and got the photos done. I emailed my portfolio to the manager of Jule Vera to take photos for them in exchange for a photo pass. Just like trading.




On November 2015, I earned my first photo pass. I saw Jule Vera, Against the Current and this band I forgot their name. (sorry) It was at Roxy Theater in Westwood.

I had my first $150 gig, I took photos for this businessman and speaker for a conference and I gave him 30 polished photos. (that it took him 2 months to pay me $100 when he promised to make the payment by the mid-month. What a shame.)

My two friends and I went on road trip to Joshua Tree to stargaze and be stoned. Best getaway from all the stress.



On December 2015, I dropped my camera, lost inspiration to take photos and just partied. I took a break from it 'cause it wasn't filling me with joy anymore, not like before. I also took a break from the acting cause of financial problems.

It's my mom's birthday on Christmas so we celebrated it with our family and we had a pajama party.



Comments

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)